RE: serial ports

Dave Korn wrote:
> Well then, that's a really good argument for just using the builtin
> access that cygwin provides through /dev/ttySx instead, isn't it?
> The way Oliver's original post reads suggests that he was just thrown
> off by not seeing any devices under the virtual /dev dir, but that
> doesn't mean it won't work for him if he tries it.

As they say in Perl parlance, TIMTOWDI ("there's more than one way to do it").
If Oliver is a C, etc., programmer fluent in the /dev/ttySx API, then it could
work.  But if Oliver wants to write idiomatic Perl and get his application going
faster and easier, then he wants to use standard and accepted CPAN libraries
rather than roll his own (especially non-portable ones).  Win32::SerialPort
(Windows) and Device::SerialPort (Unix/Linux) are the best approach under Perl.
One or both may work under Cygwin; I haven't done serial port programming in a
number of years, and needed ActiveState Perl the last time I did.  YMMV.

David