Re: setup - duplicating cygwin

Hi Igor

> > 1) using windows read "installed.db" into "my documents"
> > 2) the version numbers were already set to zero.
>
> Whup.  Stop right here.  When you say "the version numbers were already
> set to zero", you don't mean those extra zeroes at the end of each line,
> do you?  Because if you do, that field has nothing to do with version
> numbers.  Setup extracts the version number from the name of the tarball
> in the first field (notice, I said "replace them by '0.0-0'", not "replace
> them by '0'").  If you actually edit the filenames in the first field of
> installed.db and repeat what you've tried, it should work.

Gaaah!!  Gee it's bright in here - now.  I feel pretty stupid.
My excuse is I'm getting old and my brain is turning to mush.  :-)

Thank you.

Tell me; In case things go wrong, to recover my present configuration
is it sufficient to simply restore /cygdrive/c/cygwin and
/cygdrive/c/cygwin.disk or is there something more subtle going on.

For example:
If I cd into cygwin that has been made by setup I get:
$ cd /cygdrive/c/cygwin
$ ls
Thumbs.db  cygdrive    cygwin.ico  home  proc  tmp  var
bin        cygwin.bat  etc         lib   sbin  usr
$

Whereas the tarred/untarred version of cygwin is:
$ cd /cygdrive/h/cygwin
$ ls
Thumbs.db  bin  cygwin.bat  cygwin.ico  etc  home  lib  sbin  tmp  usr  var
$

cygdrive and proc are missing.  I take it there is no proc or
cygdrive directories.  I also found I have to use tar for this, if
you try to use windows it messes up pointers and, for all I know,
other things.

Thanks again.

	Jim