snapshots: first resort, or last resort?

In http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-06/msg00434.html, Brian said "using the
latest snapshot should always be the first thing you try when encountering a
problem before reporting it to the list."

However, the instructions for installing snapshots at
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.snapshots say:  "First,
are you sure you want to do this? Snapshots are risky. They have not been
tested. Use them ONLY if there is a feature or bugfix that you need to try,
and you are willing to deal with any problems, or at the request of a Cygwin
developer."

For a non-expert, such as me, this dichotomy of views is perplexing.  This
is made all the more perplexing because there does not seem to be (I could
not find) a user-readable list of bugs that each snapshot fixes vis-a-vis
the latest release.  So how would a user know whether the "risky" step of
installing a snapshot will have any chance of fixing a particular bug?

-- Joe