Re: Fw: GCC - 64bit long long type, support in lib

fred wrote:

> sorry if I confused readers.
>
> the source gcc downloaded I have is gcc-3.4.4
> it seems the library is part of the gcc with cygwin.
> and the library I'm referring to is in the libiberty  sub-directory.
> a config.h file does get generated (configured) in that directory.
>
> The "newlib" you are referring to, I don't see anything referred to as
> "newlib" in the cygwin setup???

You're quite confused.  libiberty is a support library used internally
by gcc itself (and other tools like binutils.)  It has absolutely
nothing to do with what happens when you compile something containing a
printf().  Gcc is just the compiler, it does not include the C library.

On the Cygwin platform the C library is provided entirely by
cygwin1.dll.  Internally this is partly based on newlib for
implmentation of some of the standard C I/O routines.  If you want to
see how printf() is implemented you need to look at the Cygwin source,
not the gcc source.

IIRC newlib does have limited support for long long in I/O routines like
printf and scanf, but it's not full support.  And I don't know if this
applies to native 32 bit targets, or if it's only for 64 bit targets
(neither gcc nor binutils have been ported to 64 bit PE/COFF yet AFAIK.)

Brian