FW: emacs (21.2-13) freezing with cygwin 1.5.21-2

> On 09 August 2006 17:42, Eric Twietmeyer wrote:
>
> > I recently installed the entire cygwin and cygwin/X
> environment from
> > scratch on a new machine.  After some minutes the main thread of
> > emacs.exe (according to Sysinternal's Process Explorer) starts
> > consuming all the resources of one of the processors on the machine
> > and then is completely unresponsive.
>
> > ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0x121
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > ntkrnlpa.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel+0xb74
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > This is the stack trace of the main thread once it has entered into
> > the
> > freeze:
> >
> > ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0x121
> > ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x1c5e
> > hal.dll+0x2ef2
> > ntkrnlpa.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel+0xb09
> > ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
> >
> > or sometimes it looks like this:
> >
> > ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0x121
> > ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x1c5e
> > hal.dll+0x2ef2
> > hal.dll!KeAcquireQueuedSpinLock+0x5
> > ntkrnlpa.exe!NtQueryInformationThread+0x2d3
> > ntkrnlpa.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel+0xb74
> > ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
> > cygwin1.dll!memmem+0x4f4
>
> > Any info is of course appreciated, and if I can supply any further
> > information that would be helpful, please let me know.
>

>   All those functions scream "Faulty device driver" to me; it appears
> to be hanging in a DPC.  Got any dodgy thumbprint readers or logitech
> webcams installed?
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK
> --

I guess I have never dealt with this kind of issue before.  I'm confused why
only emacs would be affected in this manner.  The other cygwin apps I run
(xwin, xterm) are fine.  Here is the stack trace from one of my xterm
processes:

ntkrnlpa.exe!KiUnexpectedInterrupt+0x121
ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x1c5e
ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x24dd
ntkrnlpa.exe!NtWaitForSingleObject+0x381
ntkrnlpa.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel+0xb74
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll!WaitForMultipleObjects+0x18
cygwin1.dll!aclcheck+0x8c85
cygwin1.dll!aclcheck+0x982a
cygwin1.dll!aclcheck+0x100d8
xterm.exe+0x783a
xterm.exe+0x7145
xterm.exe+0x9fa5
xterm.exe+0x1516e
cygwin1.dll!dll_crt0__FP11per_process+0xd88
cygwin1.dll!toascii+0x2396

So it also includes this KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel routine.
Perhaps Process Explorer is not getting the stack trace correctly?

I'm on a brand new machine, there may be some kind of hardware / driver
issues with it, but if so, only emacs is being affected.  There is a minimal
set of devices installed on the box, so no extra webcams or anything
installed.

Has anyone else run into a problem with the latest cygwin.dll release and
emacs?

Thanks again,

-Eric