RE: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

On 17 August 2006 15:47, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 03:16:31PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:

>>> Actually, sorry, I've misread the above.  Doesn't GNU make already have a
>>> plethora of functions not present in other makes?  What's wrong with one
>>> more?  If "cygpath" is too system-specific a name, let's pick one that
>>> isn't ("pathconv"?).
>>

>>  And I was going to point out that it could simply be a no-op on any other
>> platform and, as you say, a dll call on cygwin that hides make from being
>> exposed to any 'black magic'.
>
> I don't know.  I think I agree with Eli here.
>
> The thought of adding a cygwin-specific function to make and then making
> sure that it exists as a noop in any other version of make seems a little
> pushy to me.

  Well, it could always just not exist, and people can hide it in wrapper
funcs or ifdefs.

  I'm certainly going to do it in my local toolchain though, because I reckon
it'll save a vast amount of time in a big project when I don't have to invoke
an external cygpath process for every file in the project.  Less subprocess
invocations == faster makefiles.

    cheers,
      DaveK