RE: Is cygwin-ml softwere altering message content?

On 18 August 2006 12:42, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Al Slater wrote:
>>
>> Your signature looks good from here
>
> Amusingly ironic :-)
>
> Seems that that particular message lacked any lines long enough to
> trigger the re-wrap.
>
> Let me try to force a re-wrap to occur here:

23456789A123456789B123456789C123456789D123456789E123456789F123456789G123456789

  Didn't work.  Try some trailing spaces.

> The specific nature of the problem seems to be that quoted-printable
> MIME parts seem to be getting unencoded and then re-encoded by the
> sourceware mail system. In doing so, the wrapping policy applied by the
> original mailer is destroyed, and sourceware's own is imposed.
>
> Clearly this is a bad thing, since unless the results of the policies
> are identical, the validity of any signature is destroyed.

  Are we really sure that there isn't incorrect decoding going on at the
receive end, and that the two forms aren't actually supposed to decode to the
same result?

> Is there a suitable sourceware administrator watching this thread, or
> should I summarize the issue to overseers@ ?

  I think we need to understand it better.  When I tried to decode your
signature, that "looked good from here" to Al, I got an error.  So I think
there's at least some client-dependency here.

    cheers,
      DaveK