Re: Those nasty bundled Cygwin's

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 09:00:36AM +0200, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
>One of the reasons that companies distribute Cygwin (often breaching
>the GPL by not including the source) is that Cygwin setup sucks(I do
>believe that there is a consensus that Cygwin setup sucks).

There has recently been a rash of generalizations about cygwin where
people feel empowered to speak for a collection of users as if they were
a representative.  I've actually talked to more than one person who
thought that setup.exe is "slick".

I don't agree that this is the case and I doubt that the reason
"companies" distribute their own version of Cygwin is because of
setup.exe.  Most situations that we see here are due to a company or
individual who wants to just use the Cygwin DLL with their own product
and doesn't want to provide an installer which installs the whole
distribution.

YMMV, but, in this particular case, unless you have actual examples, I
think you are starting from a flawed premise.  That is not to say that
setup.exe doesn't need to be improved, however.

cgf