Re: copying and pasting in the terminal window?

John Salerno wrote:
Hi everyone. I just installed cygwin on WinXP and I'm wondering if there is a way to copy and paste in the command prompt, like in Linux? I figured the cygwin terminal would look and act more like the bash shell, but so far it doesn't for me. Does this mean I'm still using a DOS prompt? (Despite the $ prompt instead of C:\)?

There is a difference between the "shell" and the "terminal emulator". In Windows, all console applications (including Cygwin 'bash') get a "console window". If you right-click on the window title and see 'properties', you probably have a "console window". From here, you probably want to go to 'options' and turn on 'quick edit mode' (remember to 'modify the shortcut that started this window' when prompted). This will let you select as you are used to, but you will have to right-click to 'copy', and right-click again to 'paste'. Not quite Linux, but better than the default behavior.

Cygwin also has an rxvt terminal emulator that may be more to your liking, but I haven't used it and so can't tell you what it's like.

--
Matthew
'$ time make world' -> real 5d:14h:37m:5.291s user 0m:0.000s sys 4d:2h:14m:43.712s