Re: Color Schemes

(Still can't decide if I should TITTTL this...)

Dave Korn wrote:
  AFAIUI, the mapping of escape codes to which visual colours they mean is
utterly fixed by ANSI, and it is, as you say, the termulator's job to display
the correct visual colour.  We could attempt in cygwin's console-handling code
to look up the current console's current palette and attempt some kind of
best-fit matching, at least in theory, but there's still the old SHTDI problem
there....

Eh? It's not fixed in any way. It is entirely up to the terminal emulator to decide what color to display e.g. '1;35' as. The *default* and accepted standard is "magenta", which is '255,0,255' in Windows CUI, something more like '255,96,255' on a 'real IBM terminal' (i.e. an x86 running in real text mode, like back in the day, or like pure console mode on Linux, or like in the BIOS boot, etc). But there is no reason I can't tell my terminal emulator (CUI, Console, rxvt, Konsole, probably xterm) to display it as sea green (say, '64,128,224'). Just as there is no reason I can't tell my terminal emulator that '0;30' should be dark green (which I do with Konsole in one of my schema's). I can even make it transparent and have my wallpaper, or a background image, displayed instead. All the color code is, is a hint to the terminal emulator.

...and I am not aware of any way to examine the terminal's "palette", nor should you need to. If a user wants to fiddle with these, it is his responsibility to keep things legible.

--
Matthew
We apologize for the inconvenience.