Linking Assembly Code - Can't resolve printf

I have a simple assembly program that I am trying to compile, but ld cannot
resolve printf.
------
#movtest3.s - Example using index memory locations
.section .data
output:
	.asciz "The value is %d\n"
values:
	.int 10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55,60
	.section .text
	.globl _start
_start:
	nop
	movl $0, %edi
loop:
	movl values(, %edi, 4), %eax
	pushl %eax
	pushl $output
	call printf
	addl $8, %esp
	inc %edi
	cmpl $11, %edi
	jne loop
	movl $0, %ebx
	movl $1, %eax
	int $0x80
#end of ASM

#Makefile
test:
	as -o indexedMemory.o indexedMemory.s
	ld --verbose -o indexedMemory indexedMemory.o -lc
#end of Makefile

Result is always:
attempt to open indexedMemory.o succeeded
indexedMemory.o
attempt to open /usr/bin/../lib/libc.dll.a failed
attempt to open /usr/bin/../lib/c.dll.a failed
attempt to open /usr/bin/../lib/libc.a succeeded
indexedMemory.o:fake:(.text+0x14): undefined reference to `printf'
make: *** [test] Error 1
#end of result

I've tried linking in numerous libraries, hoping one would resolve printf,
and in numerous order of where to include the -lxxx, but I can't get it to
compile. I've also tried it on numerous computers, including those with a
first-time fresh install of cygwin. Compiling a simple helloworld C program
works fine.

I've compiled the same program fine in linux using as/ld.

What am I doing wrong???

Thank you for any help,

- David