Re: make 3.81-1 problems with DOS-paths

Knut Schwichtenberg wrote:
I've udated on 14.Sep.06 my Cygwin make to 3.81-1. The C-project I was compiling generated dependency files including system files. For system files the full path in DOS notation is entered into the dependency file. Make stops the execution of the makefile with the "very" expressive message: "multiple target patterns. Stop." Digging around with gdb and the source code I found out a missing define at compile time of make. The define "HAS_DOS_PATHS" was not set in the makefie for make. Version 3.80 of make ran without problems and setting this switch makes 3.81 run without a problem.

How is it possible that ./configure does not recognize the Cygwin environment properly for a Windows-PC? Is the missing define only a derived problem that is based on an error in the toolchain before?

If you'd STFLA'd (LA = List Archives), you'd know that this was the subject of Cygwin's most recent Holy War. IIRC "HAS_DOS_PATHS" is a broken solution, which is why it was not (and as I understand, never was) defined for Cygwin. Instead there was a kludgy patch in place that CGF decided to stop maintaining (which generated a lot of irate users... and a new upstream patch, which I thought was in the latest available package?).

So if someone that knows what the status of said package would kindly step in now? (Or you can STFLA...)

In short: make 3.81 intentionally removed support for DOS paths; use make 3.80 or the newer version (make-3.81-2?).

--
Matthew
The hippo made me do it! What? What do you mean you can't see the hippo?