Re: Similar Bash 3.1.18 CR/LF Problem

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 08:04:55AM +0000, Ken Wagnitz wrote:
>Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>>
>> If you want to continue to use Cygwin tools, you really should
>> investigate converting the generated scripts.
>>
>>People who have not been entirely clear on what Cygwin is supposed to
>>be or are not willing/able to adapt might be left behind by this and
>>other similar changes.
>
>I am another who has been bitten by this change to the behaviour of
>Cygwin.  Obviously I am one who is being "left behind".  What platform
>is Cygwin written to run on?  How would the Unix community react if
>someone ported a really nifty tool from the DOS/Windows world to Unix,
>but its data or script files had to have CR/LF endings for it to work?

I suspect that people wouldn't use the tool or, if it was really
important, they might investigate how they could help improve it by
looking at sources and providing patches.

However, really for the above analogy to be true, you'd have to throw in
the "Unix community" not being quite clear on what the "really nifty
tool" was supposed to be doing.

The dilemma here is that I read other mailing lists besides cygwin where
people are trying to use Cygwin but are close to giving up because it is
so slow.  So, making bash faster for people who are using it correctly
is very desirable.

In any event, while I'm not particularly interested in hearing case
studies, I have a hard time believing that it is completely impossible
for you or anyone to add a d2u step to whatever is generating your
scripts.  If you did that you would actually benefit from the bash
speedups.

cgf