emacs hangs at start, or sometime later

hi,

I am having some problems with my emacs. I have 21.2-13 installed, and recently it started
locking up after some time, from ~1 hour to 3-4 hours. The window would not repaint. The
emacs process usage goes up to 50%, then close to 100%, until the process is killed.

Then I tried rebaseall. It just brok  emacs, emacs hung at startup. I have
re-installed 21.2.13, and ncurses (mentioned in an old post), and X packages, and am back to
emacs running for 'some period', then locking up.

Any ideas about where next?

And another thing...
I tried building emacs 21.2-13 from source, and it doesn't work. So far there is

  * missing/corrupt file 'emacs.pif' in the emacs-21.2.tar.gz file
  * cygwin build/install script tries to call emacs at the end of make, but temacs.exe
    is the file
  * static heap exhausted message

The source file emacs-21.2-13-src.tar.bz2 has a good md5sum.

regards,
ahnkle