RE: igncr vs text mode mounts, performance vs compatibility

I'm just curious here: *Why* do you (or anybody else) want bash to not
ignore \r's (or better stated, to only understand The One True Text File
Format (Whatever That Is)(tm))?  I keep trying to figure out what is going
to break when bash suddenly is able to understand \r\n as well as \n, and
keep coming up empty.  Furthermore, I don't recall a single instance of
anybody coming to the list with a problem that was due to bash ignoring \r's
(when it used to do so).

> as required by POSIX
> can do so.

Is this the reason?  If so, do you know why POSIX requires this?  At some
point POSIX compliance ceased to be a goal of the Cygwin project, so I don't
see that as an argument either way.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle