Re: Cygwin NTFS permission listing oddness.

You somewhat answered my question, indirectly. I wasn't aware windows had a "group" security descriptor
in addition to the user-owner-creator field. Where does it store the information?

It seems odd to have a Windows group field that no Windows utils
would be able to set (or view).  Is the windows group field
actually used for anything?

Either way it seems odd -- if the win-group field is used
for something, seems odd to have a security field that is unviewable
and unsettable under windows (except via 3rd party tools like cygwin).
If it isn't used for anything -- against seems weird to include a group
field that isn't used for anything.

My NT-Win knowledge is nowhere close to my *nix knowledge, but I just
didn't know of a windows-group field on files/processes, etc. I thought
it was a "pseudo-security" field that only existed in cygwin and that
cygwin somehow simulated by, perhaps, storing the info in an ACL...?

   I'm not able to find a reference to a file's groupid via google,
but I may not know the correct search terms.  Is there a reference
to the group field on MS's tech pages somewhere?

thanks,
Linda