Re: Midnight Commander problem

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Ruslan Fedyarov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank all you Cygwin contributors for MC under Win32, at last I can use
> the same rules in both Windows and Linux. There's a little problem with
> running programs from CD:
>
> If I'm right MC uses /tmp directory for small sh scripts doing run job,
> but when you change to /cygdrive/d or whatever other than C:, you can't
> run any .exe program placed there (bash tells there's no '/tmp'
> directory).
>
> The only way to run a program from CD under MC is to change back to
> /cygdirve/c and run the necessary program with full path, e.g.
> '/cygdrive/d/setup.exe'. I've tried to change system MC_TMPDIR and
> TMPDIR variables, but nothing happened, MC_TMPDIR still points to /tmp
> under MC.
>
> I guess Cygwin's MC should use /cygdrive/c/tmp or $TMP/$TEMP instead of
> /tmp for running programs. Please correct it. I'd appreciate also mouse
> support in MC someday :). But probably it's ncurses maintainers matter.
>
> I also propose to use 'Open=/cygdrive/c/windows/system32/cmd.exe /c %f'
> in the last 'default/*' section of extension bindings, otherwise one
> can't run '.msi' and other unknown files from MC.

Ruslan,

First off, there was no need to Cc: the maintainer (Pavel), as I'm sure he
reads this list.

I don't know exactly what MC does to get that error, but /tmp should work
regardless of what directory you're currently in.  We'll need more
information about your system to be able to provide an accurate diagnosis.
Please review and follow the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, especially the part about attaching (as
an uncompressed text *attachment*) the output of "cygcheck -svr".
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"