Re: unable to remove hard link

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
I did some unfortunate experimenting with compiling different versions
of Sleuthkit and Autopsy (http://www.sleuthkit.org) before they
officially started supporting cygwin.

Autopsy wipes out your PATH when it runs to make sure you are using
the correct version of the utilities.

This also means, it could not see any of the Cygwin dlls that the
tools were compiled with (they've implemented intelligent work-arounds
since then).

I tried hard linking the various dlls it needed in its designated bin directory.

The experiment isn't important (since they now support Cygwin out of
the box), what is important is that I cannot delete my hard links.

Actually, I can get it to go the recycle bin, but it won't leave the
recycle bin.

I can 'restore' them but I cannot empty it.

Looking through my bash history file, I see I did:
chmod a+rwx cygz.dll
unlink cygz.dll

This let me delete the file as far as getting it to the recycle bin,
but that is as far as I can go.

The specific error from Windows is:
Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete cygz: Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is
not currently in use.

Since the file is in my recycle bin, this message makes no sense.

Is there some way I can make the original cygz.dll forget all about a
couple of its hard links because ls still shows it has 3 total instead
of 1 like every other single dll.

From your cygcheck.out:

Warning: There are multiple cygwin1.dlls on your path

Get rid of the one in 'c:\Tools\Foundstone\'.  This is most
likely your problem.

Get rid of "ntea" in your CYGWIN environment variable.  You don't
need it and it could get in your way.

Holliston, MA 01746