Re: Excessive thrashing when popen()ing after a large malloc()

Christopher Faylor wrote:

Fully implementing posix_spawn is quite a bit of work although I did
tell Linus Torvalds that I'd look into implementing it in Cygwin
eventually (it would make git-on-cygwin faster).

I have a patch in my sandbox which implements a more lightweight
approach for popen using cygwin internals.

Don't you go thru this exercise about every two years?

1) fork/exec implementation in cygwin sux
2) attempt to rewrite cygwin internals to use symantics of spawn|vfork|some-other-clever-idea
3) it breaks a bunch of stuff
4) try to patch around the problems, repeat #3
4) revert back to original fork/exec implementation

What's different this time? (Really, I'm not being snarky, and maybe I'm misremembering, but I'd hate to see precious developer time spent in #2 thru #4 if #5 will happen anyway -- if the past is any guide.)

--
Chuck