RE: Ctrl-C and non-cygwin programs

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> Then run the program, hit Ctrl-C and see what happens.  The
> behaviour differs depending on the environment:
>>
>>   * In a Cygwin shell started from cygwin.bat, with the CYGWIN
>>     environment variable empty: correct behaviour, Ctrl-C is caught
>> and handled.
>>
>>   * In a Cgwin shell started from cygwin.bat, with CYGWIN=tty:
>>     Ctrl-C apparently just kills the child process, the event is
>> not caught.
>>
>>   * In an xterm (Cygwin), with Cygwin bash: again, the child process
>> is just killed.
>>
>>   * In a CMD.EXE shell, Ctrl-C is caught and handled.
>
> The problem is that in the case of CYGWIN=tty or under xterm/rxvt, the
> program is not attached to a Windows console at all.  It is running
> under a Cygwin pseudoterminal (pty), which to a non-Cygwin
> app will look
> as if it was totally detached with just pipes connected to stdin and
> stdout.  Since there's no console, there's no way for a
> ConsoleCtrlHandler event to fire.

Ok, thanks.  So the bit I didn't realise was that a process needs to be attached to an actual Windows console in order to get Ctrl-C events.  This is a bit of a problem, because it essentially means that a Cygwin shell running in either CYGWIN=tty mode or in an xterm cannot behave like a Windows shell for invoking non-cygwin console programs.  Any console program that relies on being able to catch Ctrl-C to clean up cannot be used reliably from an xterm.

This is a shame, because I really like using Cygin xterm under windows - its terminal behaviour seems a lot more reliable than the Cygwin bash console.  Incedentally, what does bash do to the child process when it detects Ctrl-C and there's no console?  TerminateProcess()?

I have one suggestion: could this be documented somewhere please?  I spent a lot of time searching mailing lists and documentation for the answer to this question, but didn't find it anywhere.  Apologies if I missed it.

Cheers,
        Simon