From: Corinna Vinschen
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:51 PM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: printf '\377\376h\000\r\000\n\000'|file - #wrong result?

On Dec  6 14:34, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Tom Rodman wrote:
> >Maybe not a new problem, but this older (flame me) cygwin version works
> >better:

No, not "better", "different".  Newer versions of file happen to know
about new file types which older versions of file don't.
file-4.16 recognizes the "header" of your string as the magic nuber of
an MPEG ADTS, layer I, v1, 192 kBits, 32 kHz, Stereo file.

Again, file is using large lists of file header and typical content
information of many different file types.  The result of file is
NOT the ultimate truth, but an aproximation based on the data files.