Re: Can't start cron daemon in Cygwin 1.5.23 under WinXP SP2

Steve Rowley wrote:

> >If *that* fails, then I'd try getting a SYSTEM-owned bash shell and
> >seeing if you see general fork failures there.  The method to do this is
> >a little silly, but I think there is a simple script available to
> >automate it if you search the archives for "sysbash".
>
> I'm gonna need a bit more guidance here; I found this script:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-09/msg01860/sysbash
>
> ... but need a little more instruction about how to provoke a fork
> failure.  Like, what exactly would you like me to type at this SYSTEM
> owned shell?

Here I meant just run ordinary commands like ls, less, whatever.  Pretty
much anything you do from a shell prompt causes a fork, so really I was
just curious if you got tons of error messages when trying to do
anything or not.

You could also try starting cron as SYSTEM from the prompt, as
"/usr/sbin/cron -D" and see what happens there.

> I have the latest version as of this morning, which is the last time I
> ran setup.exe.  If it's changed since then, I'll get it tomorrow
> morning. :-)

I meant a development snapshot of the DLL, which you get at
<http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>.  The stuff you get with setup.exe are
only released versions which change relatively rarely.  There's
instructions in either the FAQ or users guide on using a snapshot, I
think.

Brian