RE: File mode 0700 for windows-created files?

On 02 February 2007 19:37, Jim Garrison wrote:

> Every file created by a non-Cygwin app appears in Cygwin
> with mode 0700.  I've read the documents pertaining to
> ntfs permissions in Cygwin but don't see a way to configure
> things so that Cygwin sees them as a more reasonable 0755
> or 0644 (for non-executables).

> I have a valid /etc/passwd and /etc/group (generated by
> mkpasswd and mkgroup).
>
> Is it possible to configure Cygwin so it sees
> non-Cygwin-created files as 0644 or 0755?

  Cygwin represents the perms as whatever the posix equivalent is of the perms
that the win32 app that created the file set, so is it possible the files are
genuinely being created with perms only for your user?  Bear in mind that
permissions can be inherited on a newly created file from the parent directory
containing the new file...

  As a test, I created an empty text file through the explorer context menu
(New->Text Document).  In /tmp, it showed up with 777 perms automatically.
However, in a directory with 755 perms, it showed up with 755 perms.

  Are you testing this with different win32 apps and creating files in
different directories and seeing the same result everywhere?  If you create a
file in /tmp using windows explorer like I did, how does it show up in the
output of 1) "ls -la", 2) "getfacl", 3) "cacls" ?

    cheers,
      DaveK