pasting into an ssh connection painfully slow... sometimes

My department manages some Netscreen NS208 firewalls.

If I ssh into them with the cygwin ssh client (either with rxvt or
with cygwin from a cmd.exe prompt), pasting into the session runs like
a 2400 baud modem.

If I ssh into them with something else such as PuTTY, then the paste
function works just like it does on other systems: fast.

I don't have this problem with cygwin ssh on systems other than the Netscreens.

PuTTY doesn't have any special configuration done to it so that it
works.  I just connect and its okay.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of slowness and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks.

-Jason