stupid spaces in environment vars

I would like to have used something like

cd $USERPROFILE

in a bash script but since windows insists on putting spaces in names, this
seems impossible.

I did find a usecase where the spaces in c:\Documents and Settings\username
were tripple quoted. However, this did not work for me. Bash still wanted
to split on the space.

Is there any cool utility that could be used like
cleanpath=pathcleaner($USERPROFILE)
cd $cleanpath

I know this is a consistent issue with cygwin. There really needs to be a
good solution.
David Bear
College of Public Programs at Arizona State University