FW: Re: [emacs_user@hotmail.com: ***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[5172]: GSlice: failed

any comments??

From: Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
To: emacs_user@hotmail.com
CC: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [emacs_user@hotmail.com: ***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[5172]: GSlice: failed to allocate]
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:48:11 +0100

Richard Stallman skrev:
> Can you please DTRT and ack?

> From: "emacs user" <emacs_user@hotmail.com>
> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Bcc:
> Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:49:00 -0500
> Subject: ***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[5172]: GSlice: failed to allocate
> 	autolearn=failed version=3.0.4
>
> latest cvs from today, configured with gtk, compiled under cygwin:
>
> $ /usr/local/emacs/src/emacs.exe -Q
>
> ***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[5172]: GSlice: failed to allocate 504 bytes
> (alignment: 512): Function not implemented

GSlice is a memory handling function in Gtk+ (Glib). It tries to allocate an
aligned block of memory using posix_memalign, memalign or valloc. I don't
know which of these three is used on cygwin, but apparently cygwin does not
have a correct implementation. I'd say it is either a cygwin problem, or a
glib problem. The allocation is done when Emacs tries to create a widget and
is done within the Gtk+ liby. There is nothing Emacs can do to fix this. It
must be done in cygwin (by implemeting whatever function is used correctly) or
by glib (by recovering better from errors like this).

Jan D.