Re: FW: Re: [emacs_user@hotmail.com: ***MEMORY-ERROR***: emacs[5172]: GSlice: failed

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 10:02:06AM +0100, Jan Dj??rv wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>I did that comment, it is not speculation.  I currently have no W32
>>>machine, hence no cygwin at all.
>>
>>So if you have no way to verify anything then it sounds like it would be
>>speculation by definition.  Speculation isn't a bad word but speculating
>>doesn't actually do any good until someone can confirm the speculation.
>>Since I doubt that anyone here is going to download emacs to satisfy a
>>speculation that cygwin's API is broken, we obviously need more details
>>from people who care about this.
>
>The code in question in glib looks like this:
>
>static gpointer
>allocator_memalign (gsize alignment,
>                    gsize memsize)
>{
>  gpointer aligned_memory = NULL;
>  gint err = ENOMEM;
>#if     HAVE_COMPLIANT_POSIX_MEMALIGN
>  err = posix_memalign (&aligned_memory, alignment, memsize);
>#elif   HAVE_MEMALIGN
>  errno = 0;
>  aligned_memory = memalign (alignment, memsize);
>  err = errno;
>#elif   HAVE_VALLOC
>  errno = 0;
>  aligned_memory = valloc (memsize);
>  err = errno;
>#else
>  /* simplistic non-freeing page allocator */
>#endif
>

>The #else part only calls malloc, and I assumed that it works on cygwin.
>It would be a small thing to figure out which part is used on cygwin if the
>config.h was available.
>

>>i.e.:
>>
>>>I don't know how the original poster configured Gtk+, I don't know
>>>which version of cygwin he/she has, I don't know which version of Gtk+
>>>he/she has.  I only tried to find out if Emacs could fix this somehow,
>>>which it can't.  If the original poster (emacs_user@hotmail.com) can
>>>send in his/hers config.h from the Gtk+ configuration, we can figure
>>>out what function we are talking about.
>>
>>So, basically you're saying "a little more work" is required.
>
>Yes, checking config.h for glib.

Thanks much for the details.  We do want to make things work correctly
but, if that just means some work in emacs source code, then someone who
is familiar with emacs will have to do that, i.e., someone else will
have to come up with the config.h.

OTOH, if someone could debug exactly why the error was occurring from
one of the above calls then maybe we could make cygwin work better,
too.  Again, this requires someone who has access to emacs source
and (presumably) knows how to use a debugger.

cgf