Re: ls output still truncated

Chuck wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Folks I could really use some help here. I still cannot get the ls
command to work reliably. It worked for years and about two weeks ago
started sputtering.  I have completely unstalled all cygwin packages,
deleted the directories, and reinstalled from scratch. Even just
installing the bare mimimum packages and running a bash shell without X
or even a .profile, ls still fails to output anything 50% of the time.

One other observation I've made is there's a similar program named
"dir.exe" in the /usr/bin directory. It seems to do pretty much the same
thing as ls. In fact the file sizes and timestamps are even the same. It
works every time. I could just alias ls=/usr/bin/dir but that seems more
like a work-around rather than fixing the real problem. Can anyone help
with this? TIA
Can you trim it down to a simple directory with a file or two?  If not,
can you determine what is key to making it happen?  You may have mentioned
these before but I don't recall and didn't see them in my review of the
thread:

  - Do you see this when running locally?  From ssh?
  - Does it reproduce in bash?  In bash run from cmd.exe?
  - Is CYGWIN environment variable still unset?

Most of the info was in a thread from last week but in answer to the immediate questions...

Nothing seems to be key to making it happen. It *usually* happens the
first 3 or 4 times I try to ls a directory, then it works 90% of the
time for that directory. The /cygdrive directory

I see it running locally. Local is the only way I run. I do not have
sshd installed.

It reproduces in bash and pdksh whether I run from cmd.exe or xterm.

If run from cmd.exe using the batch file, CYGWIN=tty. If run via an
xterm it's not set.

I can reproduce the problem even on a directory with only one file.

Can you send the output of a successful 'ls -l' from within a directory
with one file and then the strace of a failing case of 'ls' within this
directory and a non-failing case of the same to the list?

Does it work fine without 'tty' set for bash run at cmd.exe?

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746