Bash-Scripting: any way to pre-initialize readline's edit buffer with a user-defined string?

Hello,

a simple (i hope ;->) question for bash scripting experts:

I want to write a script, that interactivly prompts the user
for a couple of input items. So my bash code looks like
this:      read -er -p"ItemX: " ITEMX
Most of the items have default values, and I would find it
very user-friendly, if readline's edit buffer would be pre-
initialized with this default value, instead of an empty string.
Then the user just has to hit <return> to enter the default
value, very comfortable.

Any idea how to achieve this?
Thanks.

Best regards
Sven

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dipl. Inform. Sven Severus
Softwareentwicklung
HIMA Paul Hildebrandt GmbH + CO KG
Abt: Entwicklung Software
Albert-Bassermann-Strasse 28
68782 Bruehl
Germany

Tel: +49 6202 709-289
Fax: +49 6202 709-299
E-Mail: s.severus@hima.com
Internet: www.hima.de

--

HIMA Paul Hildebrandt GmbH + Co KG, Postfach 12 61, 68777 Bruehl bei Mannheim
Kommanditgesellschaft, Sitz Bruehl, Deutschland - Registergericht Mannheim HRA 421017

Persoenlich haftende Gesellschafterin Paul Hildebrandt Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH, Sitz Bruehl, Deutschland - Registergericht Mannheim HRB 420588

Geschaeftsfuehrer: Dipl.-Betriebswirt Steffen Philipp, Dipl.-Kfm. Peter Swiczinsky