Re: Bash-Scripting: any way to pre-initialize readline's edit buffer with a user-defined string?

Sven Severus wrote:
Hello,

a simple (i hope ;->) question for bash scripting experts:

I want to write a script, that interactivly prompts the user
for a couple of input items. So my bash code looks like
this:      read -er -p"ItemX: " ITEMX
Most of the items have default values, and I would find it
very user-friendly, if readline's edit buffer would be pre-
initialized with this default value, instead of an empty string.
Then the user just has to hit <return> to enter the default
value, very comfortable.

Any idea how to achieve this?
Thanks.

1. This has nothing to do with cygwin. You should be asking on the bash mailing list.

2. Try:

echo -n "Input [default]: "
read input
[ -z "$input" ] && input=default