Re: sshd: can't mount samba shares

On Mar  2 18:58, David Abrahams wrote:

> I have a Windows XP64 and XP (32-bit) virtual machine running on the
> same actual hardware, both with a cygwin installation, running sshd.
> When I ssh into the XP64 machine and issue
>
>   net use s: \\\\machine-name\\share-name password /USER:username
>
> it works just fine, but not on the 32-bit XP machine:
>
>   System error 5 has occurred.
>
>   Access is denied.

Access denied is interesting.  In earlier versions of NT it was
typically not possible to use any drive letter in calls to `net use'
when running in an ssh session.  Now (XP) it's possible to use the drive
letter in a SYSTEM session, but I still don't use it.  I rather use
the real path (//server/share/foo/bar/baz), or I use the Cygwin mount
command to access it like a local path (mount -f //server/share/foo /foo)
Maybe that's a working workaround for you, too.

Anyway, I just tried using a drive letter from an ssh session on XP64.
As usual, the service account is sshd_server.  However, I don't get
the above access denied message.  What I get is even more strange:

  $ net use t: \\\\server\\share /user:domain\\user mypassword
  System error 85 has occurred.

  The local device name is already in use.

Needless to say that drive t: doesn't exist anywhere on that machine.
Of course I tried with other drive letters, too.

Unfortunately that means I can't even reproduce your problem, so I'm
stuck with a wild guess:  Did you try to add the sshd_server user to
the users which are allowed to access the share?

If that doesn't work I think you should really consider to get rid
of using those evil drive letters ;)

Corinna

Red Hat