Re: sshd: can't mount samba shares

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

> > On Mar  2 18:58, David Abrahams wrote:
> > Access denied is interesting.  In earlier versions of NT it was
> > typically not possible to use any drive letter in calls to `net use'
> > when running in an ssh session.  Now (XP) it's possible to use the drive
> > letter in a SYSTEM session, but I still don't use it.
>
> How do I get a SYSTEM session?

Starting a service under the SYSTEM account.  Like sshd sessions
prior to 2K3.  Pubkey logins are running in the logon session of the
user starting the service.

> > I rather use the real path (//server/share/foo/bar/baz), or I use
> > the Cygwin mount command to access it like a local path (mount -f
> > //server/share/foo /foo) Maybe that's a working workaround for you,
> > too.
>
> No, unfortunately not.  I need to run native windows commands that
> access the share.

Most modern native Windows tools understand the \\server\share syntax.
cmd.exe is not one of the modern tools, unfortunately.

> > Anyway, I just tried using a drive letter from an ssh session on XP64.
> > As usual, the service account is sshd_server.
>
> As usual?  After many reinstallations on XP32, I never see
> sshd_server.

"As usual starting with 2K3".  XP64 is actually not an XP kernel, but
a 2K3 kernel.

> > However, I don't get the above access denied message.  What I get is
> > even more strange:
> >
> >   $ net use t: \\\\server\\share /user:domain\\user mypassword
>
> According to "net help use," your password needs to come after the
> share name.

No.  It doesn't matter.  It's just the way the help text is written.

> > Unfortunately that means I can't even reproduce your problem, so I'm
> > stuck with a wild guess:  Did you try to add the sshd_server user to
> > the users which are allowed to access the share?
>
> I don't get an sshd_server user when I install on XP32.

See above.  But I just realize that I mis-read your mail so that I
thought it works on XP32 but doesn't work on XP64.  You wrote that
it's the opposite.  Then my answer is, "I don't know".  It works for
me on XP32, but I never really expected it, as it didn't work on older
Windows versions anyway.

Corinna

Red Hat