Re: very odd behavior of Cygwin python from CMD

David Abrahams wrote:
"Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin <dot> com> writes:
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  We don't want to feed the
spammers.

On 03/03/2007, David Abrahams wrote:
Brian Dessent <brian <at> dessent <dot> net> writes: > > and if so,
launch it as "sh.exe -c python", using sh.exe in the same
dir as the shortcut.  This will invoke python through the shell,
which will follow symlinks.
Ja; except that that begs the question -- sh.exe could be a symlink,
as it often is to bash.  In fact it isn't even important for me to
invoke python in that case; I just need to detect it and avoid it.
No, 'sh.exe' won't be a symlink unless someone has made it so.  'setup.exe'
creates 'sh.exe' as a copy for exactly the reasons you found.

I realize that much, but someone could make it so.

There are many things someone could do to change their installation in a way that is contrary to the intent of the original packager. While this is not prohibited, it doesn't mean we need to find way to support such changes. It just means that those who make such a change have to recognize it's limitations and live with them or adjust their environment accordingly. In this particular case, that could be invoking 'bash' instead of 'sh'. But I think the simplest way of looking at this issue in general is, if making such a change causes problems for someone of a magnitude that the person is inconvenienced and cannot resolve it, the best advice is "don't do that then." IMO, someone having problems invoking 'sh.exe' because it has been turned into a symlink falls into this category. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746