RE: win32 error 998: ERROR_NOACCESS

>On 06 March 2007 08:02, bmoneill wrote:

>> bash-3.2$ g++
>>      15 [main] bash 956 child_copy: stack write copy failed,
>>  0x22C3B0..0x230000, done 1624, windows pid 956, Win32 error 998
>>     924 [main] bash 956 fork: child 4052 - pid 4052, exitval 0x103, errno >>11
>> bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
>>
>> bash-3.2$ ls -l /etc/postinstall/gcc
>> 963214478 [main] bash 956 child_copy: stack write copy failed,
>> 0x22C3B0..0x23000 0, done 1608, windows pid 956, Win32 error 998
>> 963215755 [main] bash 956 fork: child 1048 - pid 1048, exitval 0x103, >>errno
>> 11
>> bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

>> I appreciate any feedback as to possible reasons and/or fixes to the >>memory
>> access error.

>  This is a typical symptom caused by interference from poorly-designed >security-related software such as antivirus or desktop firewall.

>> Also, is it normal for the prompt to appear as "bash-3.2$";
> >on other systems that run cygwin I have seen the user's name or the >>current
>> logged user.

>  This means that the process that sets up the user's personal config the >first time they log into cygwin failed, presumably with the same sort of >errors as above.

>> Thanks for helping

>  Do you have any of Norton/MacAffee/Symantec antivirus, Logitech webcam
>software, Kerio, Agnitum or ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall, LanDesk, or >Windows
>Defender installed?

>    cheers,
>      DaveK
>--
>Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Thankyou for the response DaveK,

I do not have any of the above software installed, but I do use Iolo anti-virus and firewall. Those were suspect to me as well and I have shut them down completely (though perhaps the programs were not really completely  shut down) and tried a few installs of cygwin with them down. The same errors have typically occurred though this process. I will attempt a more thorough shutdown of these programs the next install, any tips as to make this easier is appreciated. Also, in the event that I successfully install cygwin, will these programs cause problems everytime I want to run an instance?

Thanks.