Using UNC paths from a windows command with bash commands

Hi,

I am writing a couple of scripts to check users in Active Directory
their home/profile directories.

Using dsget -hmdir, gives me their home directory, in this format
var=\\server\home$\username

Using this in a test, like if [ -d $var ] then fails, as it escapes
the stuff prefixed by slash.  Is there a way to mangle the name into
something cygwin/bash will like...?

I am think I am using the last cygwin/bash stuff - bash 3.2.9(11).

Thanks in advance,
Chris

PS looking at the list archive, I can see other people have asked
similar questions... but I cannot see them being answered  :-(