RE: win32 error 998: ERROR_NOACCESS

On 06 March 2007 16:01, bmoneill wrote:

> I do not have any of the above software installed, but I do use Iolo
> anti-virus and firewall. Those were suspect to me as well and I have shut
> them down completely (though perhaps the programs were not really
> completely  shut down) and tried a few installs of cygwin with them down.
> The same errors have typically occurred though this process. I will attempt
> a more thorough shutdown of these programs the next install, any tips as to
> make this easier is appreciated. Also, in the event that I successfully
> install cygwin, will these programs cause problems everytime I want to run
> an instance?

  I was going to say that I've never heard of Iolo, but ...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iolo+cygwin&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official

... it turns out that I have, because I replied to this post from January 15th:

  It looks possible that if you were to run the service control manager (Start->Run->"services.msc", also in Start->Settings->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services) and both stop and disable the "iolo DMV Service", your cygwin apps might work; I don't know if it would affect the anti-virus functionality.

  Failing that, you might have to uninstall it altogether; as you've guessed, shutting down the application doesn't always fully shut it down, it often leaves a service or a device driver running somewhere, and sometimes uninstalling is the only way out of the mess.

    cheers,
      DaveK