Re: managing breakpoints in gdb

2007/3/7, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com>:
Domen Vrankar wrote:
> I can't set breakpoints in gdb under cygwin with whole path to the
> source file:
> break "C:/cygwin/home/moon/uart/hello.c:69"
> break "/cygdrive/c/cygwin/home/moon/uart/hello.c:69"
>
> The only thing similar to those two that works is:
> break "/home/moon/uart/hello.c:69"
>
> Can this somehow be set to be able to use the whole path? Is this a
> cygwin bug or was cygwin intended to work like that (the version of
> gdb is built on linux form the same sources and there the entire path
> works OK)?

What's not "whole" about /home/moon/uart/hello.c?

If your source file would be located somewhere else on C: disk you wouldn't be able to access it in this way.

Perhaps filing a
problem report as described by <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> would
have made this question moot.

The problem is that a graphical IDE that serves as gdb frontend and works under windows (mo cygwin) sets breakpoints like this: break "C:/cygwin/home/moon/uart/hello.c:69". I didn't include this information as I think is trivial since gdb alone can't set breakpoints with path from C:\ or /cygdrive.

I am using a cross-platform compiler for producing executables for a
risc processor.

I mentioned linux as the toolchain that I am using was developed
(patched) and extensionaly used on linux and I am not familiar enough
with cygwin to know if there are some hidden limitations about
obtaining the path to a certain location on disc that is not a
subdirectory of cygwin/ while using gdb intended for linux.

If I understand correctly cygwin folder is root and home and cygdrive
are its subfolders so all I am asking is why cant I access home
through C:/ ... as cd C: command works and why can't I use /cygdrive/
... path to set a breakpoint and can this be enabled/overwritten
somewhere in some script file or something like that?

Does this path problem possibly have anything to do wit debugging
information ( -g flag for gcc) as the toolchain was as mentioned
before ment for linux?

And yes I have read that page and apologise if I still don't know how
to write a propper question message.

Domen