Re: a better socketpair

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 02:39:50PM -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I did my first bit of coding on win32 last month, and was disgusted
>to find no socketpair.  Cygwin's socketpair (at least the version I
>found) seems to use _pipe underneath, which as I understand it is not
>suitable as an argument to select().  So, I wrote my own:
>
>  http://cantrip.org/socketpair.c
>
>which as you may observe is licensed compatibly with cygwin.
>
>Use it if you like, with whatever argument-list changes it needs to
>conform to POSIX.  (Apparently AF_LOCAL/PF_LOCAL, normally passed to
>socketpair, isn't defined in win32, but I presume cygwin can supply
>that.)
>
>I'm not subscribed to this list, so copy to me anything you think
>I should see.  I would welcome notes hinting at which release of
>cygwin this gets installed in, if any (e.g. "I put it in today")
>and any problems encountered.

I'm sorry to say that you have made a few incorrect assumptions about
Cygwin and apparently gone to some effort to implement something which
didn't need to be implemented.

1) Cygwin has a functioning socketpair which can be used in select().
It is not implemented using _pipe and, AFAIK, has never been implemented
using _pipe since _pipe in Cygwin isn't really intended to be used
that way.

2) Pipes can be used in select() in Cygwin, anyway.

3) All of the discussion about "win32" isn't really appropriate for
cygwin.

4) See http://cygwin.com/contrib.html for a description of how to
contribute to the Cygwin code base.  I wish it was as easy as just
pointing to a web page and say "take it" but it isn't.

So, thanks for thinking of us, but this isn't anything that we can
use.
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org
Cygwin Co-Project Leader				aaaspam@duffek.com