Cannot get Cygwin to produce a core dump

I am a newbie and have installed Cygwin on a Windows XP machine using the
default settings.

I have compiled a faulty program called a.exe using the command gcc -Wall -g
null.c  I would like a core dump to be produced when the program fails.  I
have tried 3 methods (advice from these threads) so far but they have not
worked.

Method 1

Running ./a.exe results in the following error:

6 [main] a 5132 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Error while dumping state
(probably corrupted stack)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

But there is not core file in my directory

Method 2

I have added the following to my cygwin.bat file:

Set CYGWIN=error_start=c:\cygwin\bin\dumper.exe

Running ./a.exe results in a window to pop-up and reads:

Setting bfd architecture: No error

After the window closes the following message displayed in the terminal
window:

*** starting debugger for pid 4024, tid 4436

But the debugger never starts and no core file is produced

Method 3

I modified the environment variable to be:

Set CYGWIN=error_start=c:\cygwin\home\MDGCUSTOMER\wrapper_dumper.cmd

Where wrapper_dumper.cmd has the following:

c:\cygwin\bin\dumper.exe -d -c %1 %2

Running ./a.exe results in the following error:

*** starting debugger for pid 3908, tid 5220
[6] main a 3248 try_to_debug: Fialed to start debugger, Win32 error 2
*** continuing pid 3908 from debugger call <0>
1454996 [main] a 3248 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Error while dumping state
(probably corrupted stack)
1487118 [main] a 3248 try_to_debug: Failed to start debugger, Win32 error 2
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Again, there is no core file produced

Thanks for your help in advance