Re: setup.exe crashes on WinXP SP2

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, fergus wrote:

> >> Also, i could not find the setup.ini file ?
> >> is it a requirement for setup.exe to run ?
>
> I don't really know why you didn't get setup.ini along with setup.exe
> and release/ when you ran wget. It should be colocated with the file
> setup.exe and the directory release/.
>
> It is not a requirement for setup.exe to run* but I suspect it might be
> a requirement for setup.exe to run properly.
>
> * I would have said it was needed for setup.exe to run at all, but
> actually I've just tried setup.exe without setup.ini and indeed some
> mammoth installation started. I don't know whether I would have ended up
> with a Base installation or a Full installation or something in between
> or something workable or not.

If you run "Install from Local Directory" without a setup.ini, setup will
recursively search the local package directory tree for things that look
like Cygwin packages and attempt to infer names and versions from the
tarball names.  All of the unknown packages end up in the "Misc" category,
IIRC.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin