Re: [cygrunsrv] problem starting exim as service

Peatey wrote:
[snip]
> The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( exim ) cannot be found.
> The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
> message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may
> be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see
> Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
> event: exim: PID 2632: `exim' service stopped, exit status: 53.

OK, this means that exim is not finding its dynamic libaries... put
C:\Cygwin\bin (or wherever you have it installed) on Windows' PATH (My Computer
-> Properties -> Advance -> Environment Variables : PATH).

[snip]
> Administrator for WinXP).  I didn't use chmod or chown at all.  Almost
> all files in /bin and rest of cygwin directories are peatey:Users.
> should they be SYSTEM:root?  Did I miss a crucial step in installing
> cygwin?  Please clear up my neophyte confusion.

No, most files will be owned by you, as you installed Cygwin, but services is a
different story, they usually run as SYSTEM so they have complete access to
everything they need.

[snip]
>> That's not a _fully_qualified_ host name.
>
> if i'm trying to use smtp.g

I don't understand what you mean.  In /etc/exim.conf you will find a variable
named "primary_hostname", the comments before it explain what is needed as fully
qualified host name, if you don't have one then what you have is probably OK.

[snip]
> I don't know. It was the default option so I left it there.  Do you
> think I should remove it?

As I said before, I don't know what it is for, and I don't use it, that's why it
seemed odd to me.

[snip]
> I used 'chown SYSTEM:root' on all these directories but the service
> still will not start.  I'd appreciate further suggestions.

Just for the record, if you run `cygcheck /usr/bin/exim-4.66-1.exe` before
changing the PATH, you'll see that the executable does not find some of the
libraries (/usr/bin/exim is a symbolic link to the real executable); the path
where those are should be added to Window' PATH (the service doesn't see the
same PATH you see inside a shell, it sees the general Windows PATH or one
specified at the time the service is installed).
--
René Berber