Re: python & development

Samuel,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 01:54:46AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> I'd need to use pyrexc for building python bindings, is there any
> plans for including it in the cygwin distribution?  (the upstream tgz
> currently installs just fine).

Would you like to contribute this package?

> And about python, there's something odd with libpython2.4.dll.a: it is
> located in /usr/lib/python2.4/config/,

When I added shared extension support to Cygwin Python, I put
libpython2.4.dll.a in /usr/lib/python2.4/config because that was the
same directory that contains libpython2.4.a (and the other files needed
for extending/embedding) on Unix.

> unlike Linux where it is located in /usr/lib/python2.4/

Which file are you referring to on Linux?  libpython2.4.so?  If so, it
is located in /usr/lib.

> That poses problem with linking with it.  The ac_python_devel.m4 file
> shipped with autotools uses get_python_lib(0,1) from the
> distutils.sysconfig package for determining which path to give to
> gcc's -L so that gcc's -lpython2.4 can work, and that returns
> /usr/lib/python2.4 (just like in Linux).

AFAICT, Distutils sets gcc's -L correctly under Cygwin.

> Could this somehow be fixed?

But, where should this be fixed?  Cygwin Python's shared extension
support hasn't changed in a long time.  I'm afraid I'll break someone's
build, if I move libpython2.4.dll.a to another directory.

Jason