Re: Problem with ruby and cygssl-0.9.8.dll

"Geoffrey T. Cheshire" wrote:

> OK, thanks.  But if you've used rebaseall once, won't you have to always
> rebase again any time you update cygwin?  That is, if rebaseall arranges
> each image base in a contiguous block, then you need to rearrange them
> any time you add/change a dll.  This is because you've created a
> "custom" image base location for each of your images, and
> --enable-auto-image-base doesn't help.

Technically, yes.  Practically, no.  Most binaries work fine with DLLs
that had to be relocated due to conflicts.  And the chances of two DLLs
being back-to-back in the rebaseall list and also used in the same app
at once tend to be small.  There are only a relatively small number of
binaries that suffer from image base issues, and they tend to be those
that dynamically load modules (dlopen/LoadLibrary) such as python, ruby,
apache, etc.  Really you can pretty much take a "as long as I don't get
fork errors I don't need to care about rebasing" attitude.

Brian