Re: when to use a ln or a mount

Brian Dessent <brian@dessent.net> wrote in news:45F5A072.4D263AA0
@dessent.net:

> zzapper wrote:
>
>> In my confused mind ln and mount seem to achieve the same thing.
>> In my case I want to have an easy to type path(s) to my old pc
>>
>> so I typed:-
>>
>> mount -f -u -b "//dell25/c/" "/o"
>>
>> but I also tested
>>
>> ln -s //dell25/c/ /old
>>
>> In the Cygwin context does one method have any advatanges over the over?

Thanks the fog is starting to clear
a ln (link) is basically from x to y

whereas a mount is anywhere to y

(although you can fudge a ln to look like a mount if you create it in a root
directory)

BTW for those who've never used either

With the above mount I can transfer files from my old PC by

cp /o/downloads/*.zip c:/zips

--
zzapper
http://SuccessTheory.com/tips/ vim, zsh & success tips