Re: Purging Old and Invalid User Names With Spaces

Keith Mitchell wrote:
In am running Windows XP SP2. I was having trouble with applications running under CygWin because I originally had spaces in my user names. I changed all the user names on my system, eliminating all the spaces in the user names. I then rebooted the computer just in case. Nothing changed. I then deleted my whole CygWin installation and reinstalled everything fresh from the web from scratch. Things were still broken in the same way!! I checked /etc/passwd file. All the user names were wrong. The user names were the same old user names I had in place before I changed the names eliminating the spaces. I do not know where CygWin found a list of those old and obsolete user names containing spaces, but it did find them somewhere. (probably in the registry). And it used them.

My question. How can I purge those old and now invalid user names so CygWin uses only the current, correct, and valid user names, user names without spaces?

Cygwin gets its information from Windows. Make sure none of the user names (local or on any workgroup/domain) that you want to use has spaces under Windows. Alternatively, you can go and edit the /etc/passwd file to change the user names that you want to use. Don't change SID though. That's necessary to tie back into Windows.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746