RE: Accessing remote PC (ssh?)

On 15 March 2007 18:53, Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>>>>
>>> $ ping sony06
>>>
>>> Pinging sony06 [192.168.2.100] with 32 bytes of data:
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>   It may be relevant that that is the windows native version of ping rather
>> than the cygwin one, although I don't see why a name lookup would work for
>> 'doze and not for cygwin.  Very odd.
>
> Indeed it may be. Doesn't Windows sometimes use WINS to look up
> hostnames when DNS fails? IIRC you can ping (using Windows 'ping') a
> computer by WINS name even if it isn't in DNS.

  I think you're right, and it's not just WINS, it's NetBIOS as well.  NetBIOS
does name resolution by doing a local broadcast of the query, and if there's a
host on the network that answers to that name, it responds.  WINS comes in
when you have multiple subnets; because broadcasts don't get propagated past
routers, if you want to do NetBIOS name resolution on a multi-subnet lan, you
can set up a WINS server, which is a dual-homed machine that caches NetBIOS
names it sees on one subnet and sends answers to queries for those names on
the other subnet.

  Anyway, that's what I'm hoping the nslookup output might show us.

    cheers,
      DaveK