RE: Accessing remote PC (ssh?)

On 15 March 2007 19:40, Charles Russell wrote:

> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\cdr>nslookup
> DNS request timed out.
>      timeout was 2 seconds.
> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.254: Timed out
> *** Default servers are not available
> Default Server:  UnKnown
> Address:  192.168.1.254

  Is there a machine at this address?  Is it supposed to be your DNS server?

> ------------
> DNS request timed out.
>      timeout was 2 seconds.
> timeout (2 secs)
> SendRequest failed
> *** Request to UnKnown timed-out
>  > exit

  Because basically it looks like you've not got any DNS service, so windows
apps are going to be able to lookup names using netbios, but cygwin ones which
use the minires dns resolver library aren't probably going to work.

  Having said that, what happens if you run "ping sony06", followed
immediately by trying to ssh to it?  It's possible that you could get the
'doze/netbios lookup to cache it, and then cygwin programs might be able to
see it - I'm not certain if this would work, but I think that if you can see
it in the output of "ipconfig /displaydns" after pinging it, ssh might be able
to see it as well.  (Do you have the "DNS Client" service running?)

  (It would be really great if someone who's a lot more familiar with the
workings of minires than me could chip in here...)

> ######################
> Incidentally, ssh seems to work ok in the other direction, from the
> wireless laptop.

  Yow, it's starting to sound like you have a not-entirely-dead-simple network
setup.  Hmmm, if you have a wireless router maybe you need to switch on dns
proxying or something like that.

  It might be instructive to show us the output from running "ipconfig /all"
on both machines; the differences between them might give us a clue.
Otherwise we may have to ask you to draw us some ascii-art network maps!

    cheers,
      DaveK