Re: Accessing remote PC (ssh?)

Charles D. Russell wrote:
* "Larry Hall wrote:

.ssh/known_hosts on dell03 contains explicit IP addresses for both
dell03 and sony06 that are no longer current.
Move this file out of the way and try ssh again. __________________________________

Success! That's all it took.

I suppose I'll have to repeat this every time DHCP changes the IP addresses.

Correct.  Unless your router allows you to associate a dynamic IP with
your MAC address (i.e. static DHCP).  The poor man's workaround for this,
assuming that you don't want to give up on DHCP, is to create a wrapper
script for ssh that removes the known_hosts file and then calls ssh.  It
will be a little noisier, but it should work.  The alternative is to
figure out what setting in your router is screwing up DNS resolution.
I suppose you could be getting lost even before you get there too.  You
could check your network settings under Windows to see if it properly
points to your router for DNS.

What little I know about networking makes me fear blundering into a morass if I depart much from the default installation scripts. Also, my existing DHCP configuration works with Knoppix and other linux live disks. So I think I'll stick with DHCP.

I'm guessing you don't use ssh with those.

Holliston, MA 01746