RE: Installing Cron on Windows 2003 Server...

On 15 March 2007 22:10, Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>> It's working because we know it's trying to mail you something.
>> To find out what,  remove MAILTO="" and install a poor man's mailer as
>> follows. It will write the mail output to /cronmail.txt
>>
>> ~: cd /
>> /: cat > cronmail.sh
>> cat > /cronmail.txt
>
> (NOTE: type CTRL-C after typing the above line)

  Ctrl+D is a better way to close the file actually.  If you mean EOF, why not
*say* EOF? :-)

> ...and shouldn't that be 'cat >> ...' instead of 'cat > ...'?

  Well, the difference would be whether you (or in this case, Kevin) want(s)
all the 'mails' to get appended to an ever-growing cronmail.txt, or want each
new 'mail' to overwrite the previous one.  For cron jobs, you often do only
care about the results from the most recent run.

  Think of it as a very simple form of logfile rotation!

    cheers,
      DaveK