Re: Escape sequences are not interpreted

On 2007-03-15 23:46, Igor Peshansky wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Vinod Gupta wrote:

When I look at a man page in a bash window under cygwin, I see that
video escape sequences are not interpreted. My TERM is set to "xterm" in
an xterm window and "cygwin" in a DOS window. LANG variables are set to
en_US. As an example, here are a few lines from the screen dump of "man
cygwin"

INTRO(3) Cygwin INTRO(3)

ESC[1mNAMEESC[0m
    ESC[1mintro ESC[22m- Introduction to the Cygwin API

ESC[1mDESCRIPTIONESC[0m
    ESC[1mCygwin  ESC[22mis  a  Linux-like  environment  for Windows. It
consists of two parts:

If I "echo ${ESCSEQ} some-text" then the escape sequence is correctly
interpreted. Problem occurs only during man pages.

Any suggestions?

Sure. A Google search for "cygwin man esc" produces quite a few hits with
a fix for this. In particular, the most recent suggestions are to check
the values of PAGER and MANPAGER (which we would have seen had you
followed

My PAGER variable was set to "less" I have changed it to "less -r" that fixed the problem.

Thanks,
Vinod